lots of different terminology is used within the SEND world and to help you navigate your way we have put together a glossary of regularly used terms.

"learn the language,

 it makes us all equal​,

nobody should feel out of the loop"

-Sam Bayley


ABA Applied Behavioural Analysis 

ADHD/ADD Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder

AEN Additional Educational Needs 

AR Annual review. A yearly review of a statement of an Education, Health and Care

ASC/ASD Autistic spectrum condition/disorder or Aspergers (old diagnosis)


BESD Behavioural, emotional and social difficulties ( now SEMH - Social Emotional Mental Health is commonly used) 

BHISS Brighton & Hove Inclusion Support Service - schools-based support for children and young people with SEND


CA Classroom Assistant or Carers Allowance

CAFA - Children and Family Act 2014

CAMHS Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services 

CBT Cognitive Behavioural Therapy 

CCE Child Criminal Exploitation also known as county lines.

CCG Clinical Commissioning Group. Plans and funds health services.

CIN Child in Need

CoP Code of practice. A guide that outlines how official bodies such as LAs should provide help or services, according to the law

CTR A meeting chaired by the CCG to review the care and treatment of autistic people or those with a learning disability who are at risk or are in an inpatient psychiatric setting.

CVS Community and Voluntary Sector

CWO Casework Officer. Responsible for EHC assessments and plans in Brighton & Hove.


DA Demand Avoidance

DDA Disability Discrimination Act, replaced by the Equality Act 2010

DfE Department for Education

DLA Disability living allowance

DoH Department of Health

DWP Department for Work and Pensions


EA Equality Act

EBD/EBSD Emotional and behavioural (and social) difficulties

EBSA​ Emotionally Based School Avoidance

EHC needs assessment A detailed examination of a child's needs in terms of education, health and social care by the LA, which may lead to an EHC Plan/EHCP

EHCP Education, Health and Care Plan. A legally binding document that sets out a child's needs and all the extra help they should get. 

EOTAS - Education Other Than At School

EP Educational Psychologist

EPS Educational Psychology Service

EWO Educational Welfare Officer. Work with schools, children and parents on attendance problems

IEP Individual education plan. A program of learning objectives and teaching strategies for children with special educational needs


FDFF Front Door For Families

FE Further Education

FHISS Family Intensive Support Service




INCO inclusion co- ordinator

INT/INA Individual Needs Teacher and Individual Needs Assistant




LA Local authority

LAC Looked after child or children. Term for children who are adopted or fostered or in care

LD/LDD Learning difficulty or disability

LGO Local government organisation or ombudsman

LSA Learning Support Assistant


Mainstream Ordinary state school

MLD Moderate learning difficulties

Multi-disciplinary /multi-agency Where all the professionals or organisations providing treatment or support come together to assess or discuss your child or your family situation


NAS National Autistic Society

Needs assessment Social care assessment to decide on the extra help and support your child needs

NEET Not in education, employment or training


Ofsted Office for standards in education

OT Occupational Therapist

Outreach Where a worker comes out to you and/or your child, rather than you having to go to them


PALS Patient Advice and Liaison Service offers confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters

PCF - Parent Carer Forum

PD Physical difficulty

PDA Pathological Demand Avoidance (the term Extreme Demand Avoidance is as often used)

PECS Picture Exchange Communication System

Percentile A score attained in a test that compares a child with its age group

PIP Personal independence payment

PMLD Profound and multiple learning difficulties

Provision map A document that provides an 'at a glance' way of showing the provision a school makes for children with special and other additional needs

PRU Pupil Referral Unit. A centre maintained by the local authority for children who can't attend a mainstream or special school

PSP Pastoral Support Plan



Respite Short-term breaks for parents or carers


SEMH Social, emotional and mental health

SEN Special Educational Needs 

SENCO Special Educational Needs Coordinator. The member of staff in a mainstream school who is responsible for special educational needs within the school

SEND Special educational needs and disabilities

SENDIASS Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service. Every local authority has a duty to provide impartial advice and information to parents of children with SEND. Amaze is funded to provide the SENDIASS for Brighton & Hove and East Sussex

SENDIST Special Educational Needs Disability Tribunal. An independent body that hears parents' appeals against LA decisions on EHC assessments and parents' claims of unlawful disability discrimination

SLD Severe learning difficulties. Can sometimes refer to speech and language difficulties too

SLCN Speech, language and communication needs

SLT/SALT Speech and Language Therapy or Therapist

SNS Sensory Needs Service

SPFT Sussex Partnership Foundation Trust

SpLD Specific learning difficulty, for example dyslexia or dyspraxia

SS Social Services

SW Social Worker

SSV Seaside View Child Development Centre (Brighton & Hove)


TP Transition Plan. A plan drawn up after the Year 9 annual review of an EHC Plan/EHCP, setting out the steps needed for the young person to move from school to adult life






YES Youth Advisor Service


If there's anything we've missed or there's any more terminology that you would like us to add then please send it to us and we'll add it to our list, Thank you

This site uses Google reCAPTCHA technology to fight spam. Your use of reCAPTCHA is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Thank you!

Back to General Information